Leaf GM Brian Burke met a Toronto Star reporter for lunch and this is what he had to say about his team and the response from fans:
- He is as frustrated as Leaf fans about how the team is playing.
- He still holds to his plan to rebuild in a non-traditional fashion. In the post-lockout era every successful rebuild has been preceded by several seasons in the basement.
- He has no plans to fire Ron Wilson who he considers to be an excellent coach.
- His priority is a large forward who can get to loose pucks in front of the net.
- He believes that outside of short stretches in each game his team has been very competitive. They need to be able to play consistently for a full 60 minutes.
- He acknowledges that special teams have been a disappointment.
- He seems to suggest that his true core defensemen are the youngster who will get better.
- When asked if the team can still make the playoffs he avoided answering which you can interpret as a NO.
- Finally, he said the team will turn around sooner than most people think.